Thursday 23 April 2009

Career Help/Tips/Advice and Experience

Three positives that worked for me:

1) Being published in a prestigious magazine as an technical 'expert' in my field - So work at getting yourself published because it gives you credibility with your bosses and colleagues and brings 'status' to your company.

2) Asking for a promotion that I knew I was qualified to handle when a vacancy in a position I sought appeared - If you get a no then ask what do I need to learn to be suitable the next time a similar position is available (then learn it).

3) Undergoing retraining in a new skill set as economic or technological change made past skill and experiences less valuable - Deregulation of the Australian finance/banking sector meant my kill set became redundant, moved into manufacturing then retrained into advertising then retrained into management and leadership training facilitation.

One Positive from a friend:

4) You hear it all the time... but I think you can never do it enough and that's NETWORKING. Stay in contact with people from past jobs, vendors you worked with, others from your same career field, neighbors, the list goes on and on. Can't tell you how many times a person from my past positively affected my career when I least expected. If I hadn't stayed on contact and kept the relationship nurtured those positive outcomes would have never happened.

One negative for me:

Stopped listening to my staff and their concerns as I became totally focused on my perceived goals and what the senior management wanted - You can't do it alone nurture you staff and co-operate with your colleagues, particularly in HR the staff and other divisions are your internal customers not somebody to hold power over and rule. the best way to make yourself look good is to make you staff look good and publicize their successes.

Wisdom

"In the Midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you." 
- Deepak Chopra 

From ELBERT HUBBARD'S historic book "A MESSAGE TO GARCIA"

'My heart goes out to the person who does their work when the "boss" is away, as well as when he [or she] is home. And the person who when given a letter for Garcia [(task)], quietly takes the missive, without asking any idiotic questions, and with no lurking intention of chucking it into the nearest sewer, or of doing aught else but deliver it, never gets "laid off," nor has to go on strike for higher wages. Civilization is one long, anxious search for just such individuals. Anything such a person asks shall be granted. He [or she] is wanted in every city, town and village - in every office, shop, store and factory. The world cries out for such; he [or she] is needed and needed badly - the person who can carry a message to Garcia'.

"A MESSAGE TO GARCIA" SURELY A MUST READ FOR ALL - COMPETENCE AND COMMITMENT THE SECRET OF SUCCESS.


Ric-orglearn career advice & resume form

No comments:

Post a Comment